Thyroidectomy: 5 things every patient without a thyroid should know

Thyroidectomy: 5 things every patient without a thyroid should know

Thyroid removed? Now What?

Have you recently had your thyroid removed?

Are you suffering from symptoms AFTER having had your thyroid removed?

Maybe you are gaining weight or losing your hair?

If so, then this is the article for you!

In this article, we will take a deep dive into 5 things that I think every patient who has had their thyroid removed should know.

We will touch on topics including what you should be expecting once your thyroid has been removed, why it's so difficult for patients to lose weight without a thyroid, how to naturally improve your thyroid function even after its been removed, and more!

If you aren't sure what to do after thyroid removal then you are in the right place.

Download my Free Resources:

Foods to Avoid if you have Thyroid Problems:

I've found that these 10 foods cause the most problems for thyroid patients. Learn which foods you should absolutely be avoiding if you have thyroid disease of any type.

The Complete List of Thyroid Lab Tests:

This list includes optimal ranges, normal ranges, and the complete list of tests you need to diagnose thyroid hypothyroidism correctly!

Download more free resources on this page

5 Things you should know if you have a thyroidectomy

I've treated hundreds (probably more than a thousand) of thyroid patients in my clinical practice and I've run into many patients without a thyroid.

These patients are certainly more difficult to treat than run of the mill thyroid patients but I've learned much in my years of treating them.

While they are more difficult, it's still possible to help them lose weight and feel better.

It just takes the right approach...

With that in mind, here are 5 things that I think you should know if you've had your thyroid removed based on THIS experience.

#1. You are now HYPOTHYROID.

This is probably the single most important thing that you understand if your thyroid has been removed.

Once your thyroid is removed you are now considered to be HYPOTHYROID.

It doesn't matter WHY your thyroid was removed, once it is removed you now have a sluggish thyroid.

I don't care if your thyroid was removed because you WERE hyperthyroid (the opposite of hypothyroidism).

Thyroid removal is considered to be a cure for hyperthyroidism but once your thyroid is out you've effectively traded hyperthyroidism for hypothyroidism.

What does it mean to be hypothyroid?

It means that you are reliant upon thyroid medication.

And because doctors do a terrible job at replacing lost thyroid hormone once the thyroid has been removed, you will probably always feel a little bit hypothyroid (there are ways to get around this of course, but it requires a different approach than what your endocrinologist is willing to do).

This is so important because many people will read my blog posts and if they've had their thyroid removed they will ask if it applies to them.

If your thyroid has been removed then 99% of the information I put out IS relevant to you (In fact, you can see it all here)!

It is true that it will always be tougher for you than for someone who has something like Hashimoto's but you both are technically in the same position in that your thyroid does not function very well.

This ALSO applies to people who have had their thyroid ablated with radioactive iodine, by the way!

Never forget that once your thyroid has been removed you are NOW hypothyroid.

#2. T4 isn't enough by itself for you.

Another important point, which will fly in the face of the information that your endocrinologist gives you, is that T4 thyroid medication is NOT enough for patients without a thyroid.

Let me back up so this sinks in.

Once your thyroid is removed you are placed on thyroid medication.

The medication that your doctor will use will either be Synthroid or levothyroxine.

Both of these medications contain the same active ingredient which is known as T4 or thyroxine.

But what you probably don't know is that T4 is NOT active in your body.

In order to be activated, it must be converted to another thyroid hormone known as T3.

And we know from certain medical studies that patients without a thyroid, who take T4 medications like Synthroid and levothyroxine, NEVER achieve a normal level using these medications!

This has been proven in studies (1) that compare patients without a thyroid (people like you) to people WITH a thyroid gland.

They found that these medications are NOT enough to normalize free thyroid hormone levels.

Which probably accounts for the hypothyroid symptoms (such as weight gain) that patients experience once their thyroid has been removed.

What's the solution?

The solution is to use COMBINATION thyroid medications which contain the active thyroid hormone T3 in addition to the inactive thyroid hormone T4.

You can do this by taking two separate medications or by taking one which contains both (such as Armour thyroid).

Either way, you will probably feel much better once you get them both in your system.

#3. You will probably gain weight and weight loss will be difficult.

This is a sad fact that many patients will experience if they have their thyroid removed.

We know from medical studies (2) (and just from patient experience) that about 80% of patients will GAIN weight once their thyroid is removed.

The average amount of weight gained post thyroidectomy is somewhere around 15 to 20 pounds.

It gets worse when you realize that some people gain MORE weight, especially those who were already a little overweight before their operation/surgery.

Okay, you get it, but why does this occur?

It occurs because most patients, once they have their thyroid removed, don't get adequate treatment (see number 2 above).

natural thyroid supplements version 2

As frustrating as it is for patients who fit into this category, this is just the current situation.

Does it mean that you will be overweight forever?

Not at all! In fact, there are definitely ways to lose weight once your thyroid has been removed.

If you are interested in losing weight be sure to check out my tips and tricks to designed to help thyroidectomy patients lose weight

Part of this includes getting on the right type and dose of thyroid medication.

But you should be aware that it will ALWAYS be more difficult for YOU to lose weight (if you don't have a thyroid) compared to people who have a thyroid even if it is sluggish.

It's not impossible, though, so don't let that get you down.

But it does mean you will need to be more aggressive and potentially use medications in addition to vitamins, supplements, diet, exercise, and so on.

#4. Thyroid supplements can and SHOULD be used.

This is another HUGE point of confusion among patients without a thyroid.

They often think:

"Well, if I don't have a thyroid then I don't have to take thyroid supplements".

And you couldn't be more wrong.

Remember, I just told you that doctors often prescribe only ONE medication (levothyroxine) and that THAT medication is not even active.

Guess what activates it?

Certain nutrients in your body such as Zinc and Selenium (as well as many others).

So even if you DON'T have a thyroid you can STILL benefit from using thyroid support supplements!

It doesn't matter that your thyroid has been removed because you are STILL receiving thyroid hormone (otherwise you would be dead).

The difference is HOW you are getting that thyroid hormone.

People without a thyroid get it from their medication.

People with a sluggish thyroid get it from both their medication AND their thyroid gland.

This also applies to IODINE as well.

Most doctors will tell you that you don't need iodine if your thyroid has been removed.

Can you guess if that recommendation actually makes sense?

The answer is a big nope.

While it is true that MOST of the iodine is stored in your thyroid gland there are still plenty of other tissues that REQUIRE iodine for proper function.

Skin tissue and breast tissue immediately come to mind.

And because humans can't create iodine they MUST consume it (either through iodine supplements or from food).

So don't fall for that one either.

It may sound crazy that your doctor doesn't know this stuff but trust me when I say that they don't.

If you don't believe me you can always ask them as well!

#5. You will be on medication FOR LIFE.

Lastly, and this one shouldn't come as a big surprise for most of you, if you've had your thyroid removed then you will be on thyroid medication for the rest of your life.

Thyroid hormone is required for life.

If you don't have enough then you will go into a coma and die.

So that means once your thyroid has been removed you must take medication forever to keep your levels up.

Most people without a thyroid are aware of this but some people were never told or didn't realize this.

It's important because in some of my other articles and videos I talk about how it might be possible to get off of medication for certain people.

This information does NOT apply to you if you don't have a thyroid because you have no other source of thyroid hormone production in your body.

Final Thoughts

I've listed what I believe to be the most important things that you should be if you have your thyroid removed!

Preferably, you should be aware of these things BEFORE you get your thyroid removed but I know most people won't see this until after their thyroid has been removed.

I want you to know that as a thyroid patient just because your thyroid has been removed doesn't mean you need to stay feeling poorly for the rest of your life.

It is possible to not only feel better but get pretty close back to your normal self with or without a thyroid.

It will take some work on your part, and manipulation of your medication, but it is possible!

Now I want to hear from you:

Have you had your thyroid removed?

Are you struggling with symptoms related to your thyroid being removed?

Were you not aware of these important points?

Leave your questions or comments below to keep the conversation going!

References (Click to Expand)

Thyroidectomy 5 things every patient without a thyroid should know
Dr. Westin Childs

Dr. Westin Childs is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. He provides well-researched actionable information about hormone-related disorders and formulates supplements to treat these disorders. He is trained in Internal Medicine, Functional Medicine, and Integrative Medicine. His focus is on managing thyroid disorders, weight loss resistance, and other sex hormone imbalances. You can read more about his own personal journey here.

46 thoughts on “Thyroidectomy: 5 things every patient without a thyroid should know”

1. Hi Dr Childs,

Here are my latest blood test results:

Free T4:11.0 pmol/L ( 7.0-16.0 )

TSH:<0.01 mU/L ( 0.3-5.0 ) L

FT3:13.5 pmol/L ( 3.6-6.5 ) H

In NZ the medics don't check RT3!

Does it matter that my T3 level is High?

How can I prevent putting on weight if / when I am on a lower level of my T3 medication?

2. I had my thyroid removed in 2011 and it has been a nightmare roller coaster ride ever since. I went into a tetany seizure; my periods became so heavy that I would become anemic every month, and I gained a lot of weight over the years even though my appetite has waned and I eat healthier than I used to. I have tried different doses of Levothyroxine and it’s still being adjusted. I have recently had an endocrinologist add T3 pills to my daily list of meds. I have been taking that for about 6 weeks and honestly, don’t feel any different than I did prior to it. Any suggestions?

• Hi Michelle,

And yes, you will want to focus on bringing up your Free T3 levels (your endo won’t like this but it’s probably the only thing that will help). Put less focus on the TSH and more on your free T3 and free T4 levels. Again, your endo will say they don’t matter but you are the one feeling terrible so you may need to seek out a second opinion from a more knowledgable doctor. You can learn more here: https://www.restartmed.com/normal-thyroid-levels/

3. Hi Dr. Childs,
    My thyroid was removed in June 2019 due to cancer. My recent lab test results are below. I have been on Armour since day one.
    TSH .01
    Free T4 .09
    Free T3 4.5
    Because my Free T3 is high my doctor wants to lower my 2 grains a day dose. I feel pretty good on this dose and do not want to lower it. She feels that my Free T3 is high because of the dose I am taking.
    Any advise?

4. I had my thyroid removed 1 year ago biopsy showed very high probability that it was cancer I had nemesis’s thyroid modules and I should also say I have been an ICU nurse for over 40 years finally my results post thyroidectomy was not cancerous I have been on only Levothyroxine and current dose 100 mcg monday thru Friday and 88 mcg on Saturday and Sunday due to my last level being 0.067 need repeat level now have not felt well since thyroid removed my Dr refuses to give me a T3 supplement because they say t3 and t4 normal have gained wt inspite of vigourous exercises every day no wt loss asked about taking Advanced Serovital but because of HGH they were not sure I need to say I am 65 and very active can you help me I am tired of weight gain and not feeling well none of my clothes fit have been size 4 for 40 plus yeArs and now size 6 please help me I also take vitamins daily

5. I had my thyroid removed in July of 2012 due to suspected cancer. Turned out I had undiagnosed Hashimoto’s for years. Never had any antibodies or labs that indicated it. Within 6 months of removal I actually lost 25 pounds and lost another 15 over the next 6 months for a total of 40. I had never felt better in my whole adult life. I did fine on Synthroid alone and then went thru a very stressful time along with menopause and slowly gained 10 to 15 pounds back. I never felt as bad as prior to my thyroidectomy but I wasn’t feeling as good. I began seeing a functional doctor and found that I had a pretty high level of RT3 and she put me on NP Thyroid along with bioidentical hormones (estrogen, testosterone and progesterone). After a few years with optimal levels of hormones, no matter what I did the extra weight wouldn’t come off. Recently she switched me to Tirosint and added Cytomel (at a lower dose of 5 mcg). Now the weight seems to be coming off. I can’t help but wonder if I have a sensitivity to desiccated porcine thyroid and/or T3. I guess I will always be the weird case.

6. Hashimodo here.

FYI, I would NEVER allow some hack to remove my thyroid gland UNLESS it had a giant malignant tumor. Period.

Dr Childs, can you explain this to me I’m a bit confused. If a patient is hyperthyroid, why remove the entire gland? I mean why not remove 1/3 or 1/2 of it? Or whatever proportion to restore normal values? It sounds absurd to remove the whole gland if you could remove 1/2 of it.

• Hi Mark,

They believe that replacing lost thyroid hormone is easier and safer than leaving even a portion of the gland in place. It all has to do with how physicians view hyperthyroidism as thyroid replacement hormone. This is also why they don’t seem to care even if people suffer tremendously after their thyroid removal. A normal TSH = a normal patient, at least in their mind.

7. Hi Dr. Childs,

I had my second thyroid removed in January 2019 the first one back in the 1970’s. I have had a horrible year in my health but not due to the thyroid. Fortunately, due to circumstances, my ENT turned out to be more knowledgeable on the thyroid than any other doctor. She knows to do the five blood tests and also to take T3 along with T4. I have to say that I have not had any problems with my current level of medications and my thyroid is the least of my problems! I love your newsletter which is how I knew the ENT was the smarter doctor in treating my thyroid. I am overdue for blood tests but thanks to the Covid it will be put off a little longer. Thanks for all your information and I hope my “non problems” with no thyroids continues.

8. I had my thyroid removed in Sept. after a diagnosis of an aggressive and rare variant of thyroid cancer. I had a high dose of RAI in Nov. and so far things are okay.I have to get my levels tested every month for at least the first year because of how quickly the cancer could come back.
    I was put on levothyroxine the same day as my thyroidectomy. The dose was high but has been lowered over the last 7 months as my TSH is suppressed and Tg is at a good place.
    So far I’ve been lucky enough to have no discernible negative effects from being on just levothyroxine. I’ve been able to keep my weight where I want it and lose if I gain a few, and I feel fine. Considering how hard it is to worry about the cancer coming back, this is a blessing.
    I think if it weren’t for the cancer I’d be more open to trying an addition of T3 based on what you write as well as what I heard from my naturopath and friends who are on Armour. But if there are any concerns about changing things and cancer, for now I’m going to stay conservative and remain on the protocol that’s worked so far.

• Hi Diane,

Some people do very well on T4 only so there’s no need to change if you are feeling great. Just be aware that it might not last forever and you may ultimately have to look into the option. It’s not uncommon for thyroid needs and medication needs to change over time.

9. I had my thyroid removed by ablation. I’ve only felt like a human once in 14 years. I had an endo that put me on Synthroid (88 mcgs) and Cytomel (10 mgs). When I went for a checkup to see how the dosage was doing, I told her that I had never felt better in my life. I was able to drop 4 lbs of the 20-something lbs I had gained. I had energy, slept well, my hair and nails were coming back. Well, you guessed it-because TSH was low, she took one Cytomel and cut the Synthroid dose. Within a week, I was a mess. Gaining weight, anxious, not sleeping, etc and etc! I have been unable to find a dr that will listen completely. And I’m miserable. I feel that I will never be well. And I’m really scared of that. I hate how I look and feel. I take supplements to try to help but it’s just not cutting it. I don’t know where to turn or where to seek out a better dr. With insurance limits, it is extremely difficult to go out of the area for help.

10. Hi Dr. Childs, I have a swelling on my neck and recently was feeling very weak and I did a thyroid function tests and the t3 and t4 results were within normal range but my tsh was 0.02 slightly below normal range, I saw an endocrinologist who said I would repeat the tests and would eventually have to remove my thyroid and i am confused, please advise me. Thanks.

11. I have learned so much from all your resources! I had thyroidectomy due to Graves, about 8 weeks ago, was on 100 mcg Synthroid. As of two weeks ago, my t4 was just out of range high, my ft3 was low end of normal, my rt3 was crazy high. So my endo put me down to 75 mcg Synthroid, and added 5 Cytomel per day. I have put on 5 pounds in the 8 weeks since my surgery. I have been taking your Leptin resistance supplements and take Selenium, Iron, Calcium, Zinc.
    Here’s my big mystery though. I am still having heart poundings during exercise and am now not sleeping as well. I am so confused as the heart palps are supposed to be associated with a high t3 isn’t that correct? Is it possible my heart palps are due to something else? Thank you!

• Hi Liz,

Heart palpitations are not always from high T3 and they are rarely ever dangerous. A heart palpitation is just a sensation that your heart is beating, it doesn’t mean or guarantee that your heart is beating fast or hard in any way and is generally a benign occurrence.

12. I have no thyroid and am taking levothyroxine. My hair is falling out again. And it’s almost been a year! What can I do? I take my meds everyday!
    Im Scared! I’m going bk to my Dr. Soon I hope. With the Corona virus I have to wait!

Thank you for your knowledge and input

13. Hi, I feel like I have flu all the time ,need an answer as it’s making my life not worth living. Had RAI in 2012 tried natural thyroid hormone also co bination T 3T4 and am now back on oroxin a T4 only. Please answer why I have Flu like symptoms. Thank you. Kay.

14. HI Dr. Childs, Thank you for the clarifying article. I ended up with ablated thyroid, the Dr. was not knowledgeable, which has caused more struggles in my life. Now that I have been learning more these past years it pains me to find out I did not need be ablated had I been treated appropriately with meds, I would have seen a more positive outcome. my latest Dr took me off Levo and switched me to Tirosint with which I have lots of hypothyroid symptoms, loosing hair, brain fog, sluggish, etc. I decided to start taking otc Thyroid supplements and will order my own test soon to see where those #’s fall. I have less hypo symptoms Now than I have had in many years. I will update my Dr on the next visit – I did tell Dr. that if not onboard with NT med for me it is a deal breaker for them to treat my thyroid and I would seek other for that. I have to become knowledgeable to know how to tend to my body that no longer has a thyroid. I have little ‘belief’ left in the Dr knowing how to listen to me about my thyroid symptoms and their willingness to treat me as a whole person. I will add I am pleased with other areas my new practitioner has helped with – such as adrenal support.

15. My 15 year old daughter had thyroid removed because of Graves’ disease. It’s been a year and a half and she has zero, I mean zero energy. Her t4 andt3 are in normal range, her tsh is .006. It’s been a year and a half and she is missing her life. She has headaches everyday. She has lost weight. I have taken her to several doctors. Could it be a pituitary gland tumor?

16. Hi Dr. Westin, great article. Thyroidectomy 1.5 years ago, on T4 and T3 because of your article! But my T-SHIRT is still .001 (suppressed). Luckily my doc in Germany is treating my symptoms. But why the TSH value? Been the same since the surgery. I was Hypo for 8 years then went Hyper and antibodies for graves and that is why had full. Thanks!!! Jen

17. Hi,

I had a thyroid completion operation early this year. My question is;

What is the ideal TSH level for someone with no thyroid and a history of papillary thyroid cancer.

18. Hi Dr Childs. Thanks for this article. I have learned so much from you but finding a doctor to help has been impossible to date (in Australia), also when I lived in the UK. Tomorrow I have an appointment and hope the doctor will consider Armour Thyroid -I checked with the local compounding chemist and it is available. Since having a thyroidectomy some 45 years ago, I have never been able to get the medical support I need (even had to diagnose hypothyroidism myself!). No-one ever tested RT3, so two years ago I asked to have it done. Free T4 was 22.9 pmol/L (9.0-19.0); Free T3 was 4.4 pmol/L(2.6-6.0); TSH<0.01 (0.3-4.0). My TSH has been the same for very many years and doesn't change. My RT3 was 950 pmol/L (140-540) – clearly way too high. I have no doubt from symptoms, including being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, that RT3 has been a problem for many years. I was given no advice. Test results a month ago were Free T4 23.5 pmol/L (9.0-19.0); Free T3 4.6 pmol/L(2.6-6.0); TSH<0.01 (0.3-4.0). RT3 821 pmol/L (140-540). I was taking a little more levothyroxine as I got fed up with breaking tablets and not feeling any better. The doctor I saw this time decided I was hyperthyroid, based on my appearance (!), maybe because I had lost some weight through catching a virus. With a pulse of 49-50 before getting up and as low as 59-60 when resting, I am not hyperthyroid. I believe the RT3 is more than likely responsible for some palpitations (missed beat) I have had a few times when doing fairly strenuous physical work. Based on your article, it would seem Armour would be worth trying. Thank you.

One question I have is.. how to transition from Levothyroxine to Armour? With Levothyroxine still in your system… is it safe to immediately start taking Armour?

19. Hi Dr. Childs. Thyroid removed 21013, due to rapidly growing multiple cysts, non-cancerous. Im now seeing third doctor, taking
    Synthroid .112 mcg and 5 mg Cytomel. Stopped Cytomel recently due to excruciating headaches. Gained weight, can’t come off. Hair stopped falling out for now. My current doctor will help me with any tests or meds I need to take. Is there another T3 med I can try and what about supplements to take ? Im so done and frustrated with all the different meds (armour, thyroid NP, generic cytomel) I’ve tried. Appreciate any help.

20. I needed this article for sure. Can you give me any suggestions?
    Thyroidectomy 2014

Estradiol 27
    TSH .01
    Free T4 .97
    Free T3 4.41
    DHEA 125
    Testosterone 9.3

I cannot lose weight. I am active and try to eat healthy. I keep adding it on my hips and thighs. Nothing helps. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

21. Thank you so much for addressing those of us w/no thyroid. Great article!! I will be 60 soon. Do to Grave’s disease I had my thyroid removed Oct. 2016. I gained 40 pounds in the few years after. I kept blaming it on the removal. I did join Weight Watchers last year and lost 45 pounds. So I was thrilled to see it can be done. I was never told to be on T3 as well. I to am losing hair like others, have more hot flashes now then I ever did through menopause. I did not know about the iodine and other things you mentioned I should be taking. I was told Synthroid is better than levo. Is there a difference? I am on synthroid 88 and lately my energy is out the window. I was told to take magnesium yet recently read do not take w/thyroid meds. I take it at 5:00 am every morning and wait for 4 hrs. I am on losartin and metformin. Would any of those combinations affect hair thinning, constipation and hot flashes? My endo told me to see a regular dr once my thyroid was removed. Should I go back to an endo? Thank you!!!

22. Hi Dr. Child’s
    I had my thyroid removed due to a goiter which had papillary carcinoma after biopsy. It was completely removed in 2000. I have had ups and downs but the worst thing is my hair thinning and breaking. I have weight issues but not as bad as the hair. I take vitamin D3, selenium 200, and I also take a pill with biotin 2000 mg but no matter what I do it just keeps getting worse. I also take Synthroid 100. I’ve always had issues and had a hard time getting doctors to help me. I am praying you can give me some answers.
    God Bless and thank you,

23. Thank you for considering the group of people without a thyroid.

I’m hormonally challenged in a number of ways:
    -no thyroid, “suspected” PCOS, insulin resistance, high estrogen, zero progesterone, hormonal acne in my 40’s, cortisol issues, elevated leptin and liver labs to name a few.

I am desperately trying to lose weight. I was 130 lbs for 3 years after my thyroidectomy, and then BOOM. It was like overnight I packed on 30lbs and I cannot drop a lb no matter what I eat.

Oddly, I did a test at the holidays because my trainer told me to eat more. So I did a test, I ate whatever I wanted for the month of Dec. and I did not gain weight, I actually lost 4 lbs.? I even had desert daily, which I haven’t done since I was a kid?! I was drinking a lot of booze too!

Then I went back to my normal diet: modified paleo diet, no sugar, no fruit, slow carb, with intermittent fasting, 1200 calorie/day with macros about 30/40/40 and exercising daily with 30 mins of weights, 30 mins of yoga and 10k steps per day. And I am gaining weight –> 10 lbs.

How on earth is this possible?

24. Hi Dr. Childs, Thank you, thank you! Your videos are clear and understandable; more than any of my doctor’s.

I’m allergic to Levothyroxine (the fillers specifically) and my doctor wouldn’t let me try Synthroid; said I needed to be regulated on Levo first. He was fired…I now see a Naturopathic Doctor.
    I’m taking 40mcg of desicrated bovine/porcine Thyroid glands. ( GTA Forte II from Biotics Research)…my Thyroid Panel is now somewhat normal…I added your T3 Conversion Booster. Awaiting next blood work to see if T3 is up.

My question is: Is the desicrated thyroid glands only T4 ? (Like the levothyroxine you stated in your video) AND Will the T3 Booster work the same to balance out my T3/T4?

Also will this balance ever bring me out of Hypothyroid to Euthyroid?

Thank you again!
    Kelly V.
    Thyroidectomy 9/19

• Hi Kelly,

If you are referring to NDT when you say “desicrated thyroid glands” then that medication contains BOTH T4 and T3. I’m not sure if you are referring to NDT medications or supplements, though.

25. Hello Dr. Childs,
    I had my entire thyroid removed 1990 due to a large mixed follicular /papillary carcinoma. Had I-131 treatment following. Now I am 61 and find my symptoms of weight gain, brain fog and low energy worse . I tried Nutrisystem and Medifast and only lost 1 pound on 1100 calories a day. My doc says exercise more and eat less. I have gained 20 pounds in 30 years and weigh 160 pounds. I have developed large hepatic liver cysts in he last 3 years. I am on NP Thyroid 60mg -twice a day. My latest labs show : TSH -0.20, FT4 -1.04, FT3-4.4.
    I just stared your supplement plan for post thyroidectomy patients.
    I have never had a Reverse T3 lab done. I have been to many endos over the years and they were all very addicted to TSH level and very little else. I currently see a PCP who has agreed to the NP Thyroid , as Levo I was on was making the liver problem worse.
    I am very used to heart palps and breathing issues after 30 years. I just want to feel better and decline less.