About Dr. Westin Childs
**Please note that Dr. Childs practice is currently full and he is not accepting new patients**
Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired?
I've been there before and I know how it feels...
During Residency I burned out my health, developed all sorts of gastrointestinal problems and ended up with bad adrenal fatigue.
I was getting weekly migraines, weird sensitivities to chemicals, chronic irritable bowel syndrome and extreme fatigue.
I looked for help in the only place that I knew... and ended up empty handed.
I wasn't able to fix my health until I realized what was actually causing my problems.
Through a combination of trial and error (and hundreds of hours of research) I finally was able to "diagnose" my problem - I had a combination of extreme Adrenal Fatigue (thank you Residency and Medical school), Gluten and dairy intolerance, Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and a number of basic nutrient deficiencies.
Once I corrected these problems I felt better than I have ever felt in my entire life: I lost weight, had more energy and didn't have any sign of irritable bowel syndrome.
And that's how I discovered Functional Medicine - which changed how I practiced medicine completely.
If you haven't noticed I love writing and discussing these topics, so feel free to look around on my youtube channel or on my podcast to stay up to date on information that I'm discussing here:
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is root cause medicine. It means instead of masking symptoms with medications, the Doctor seeks out the underlying cause and reverses that condition.
I've found that the body has an absolutely remarkable healing system built into place! You just have to unlock the body's ability to heal itself. And that's what I do now.
Functional Medicine is:
- Preventative - My goal in treating you is to prevent and reverse disease so that you don't need to see me anymore.
- Evidence based - Treatments recommendations are based on cutting edge research from peer-reviewed medical journals not influenced by outside interests.
- Holistic - Each patient is evaluated with the idea that every body system is interconnected and part of a larger system.
- Personalized - Each individual has a unique genetic profile that predisposes them to specific diseases and conditions.
- Safe - Treatment recommendations have no side effects. Whenever possible my goal is to help you put your body into self healing mode.
- Participatory - For optimal health you must take an active role in the healing process. Your treatment is highly personalized.
- Integrative - Combines the best of conventional and traditional medicine while emphasizing the critical role of nutrition, diet and lifestyle.
But how did I get into treating and reversing Hormonal Imbalances?
Why I Focus on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Ever get the feeling that your doctor is missing something?
Well that same thing happened to both my mom and my wife…
They both had thyroid problems, but they went misdiagnosed for YEARS - bouncing around from doctor to doctor.
I personally watched them suffer from debilitating fatigue that leaves you stuck in bed every morning to bouts of recurring depression.
Because of what I watched them go through I spent hundreds of hours learning and reading about Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's.
Finally I was able to help them get their life back.
The crazy part was, I noticed that these symptoms and conditions were ALL too common among other people.
It was then that I realized how many Thyroid patients were being under treated and misdiagnosed. Since that time I've devoted my time and energy to helping thyroid patients get their life back.
What Conditions do I treat?
Part of being a good Doctor and helping people is understanding how the body is interrelated.
It's impossible to look at one hormonal system, or one organ without appreciating the effect is has on the entire body.
So while I focus on hormonal imbalances, specifically Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's, I also treat the entire body.
You simply can't fix someone's thyroid without giving proper attention to the Adrenals, the Gut, the Immune system, the Liver and the other hormonal systems...
And that requires a working knowledge of the entire body and hormone systems.
While I can and do treat most conditions I specialize and focus in the following areas:
- Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and other Thyroid Problems
- Autoimmune conditions
- Hormonal Imbalances like Estrogen Dominance, Progesterone Deficiency, Low Testosterone, Leptin Resistance and Insulin Resistance
- Reversing Weight Loss Resistance and helping patients lose weight
- Adrenal Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Chronic Pain Syndrome and Fibromyalgia
- Gut Imbalances like Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), Yeast Overgrowth, Leaky Gut and Intestinal Dysbiosis