Men with hypothyroidism tend to have similar but different symptoms when compared to women.
The difference in symptoms stems from the impact that your thyroid has on testosterone. Testosterone, as it turns out, is much more important for men when compared to women.
Even minor changes in testosterone can lead to numerous side effects which are separate from hypothyroidism. So, in a sense, men get both the symptoms of hypothyroidism AND low testosterone.
Men with hypothyroidism commonly present with any or all of the following symptoms:
– Increase in fatigue or decreased energy levels
– Decreased libido/sex drive and other changes in sexual function including erectile dysfunction
– Inability to build muscle mass or decreased strength
– Unexplained weight gain or inability to lose weight despite using therapies that have worked in the past
– Changes in mood ranging from feeling “down” to depression
In addition to these symptoms men usually present with 1 or more of the following general symptoms of hypothyroidism:
– Constipation or change in bowel movements trending towards constipation
– Dry skin or changes in skin texture
– Other mood changes including anxiety
– Difficulty with sleeping or insomnia
– Inability to tolerate cold temperatures
– Issues with fertility
– Muscle aches/pains, joint pain and/or back pain
– Difficulty with concentration, decreased attention span and “brain fog”
If you have any of these symptoms then you will want to test the following labs:
– Free t3
– Free t4
– Reverse t3
– Total testosterone
– Free testosterone
– Sex hormone binding globulin
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– For thyroid hormone production and conversion: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/t3-conversion-booster/
– For hair loss: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-hair-regrowth-complex/
– For weight management: https://www.restartmed.com/product/gut-bomb-350-billion/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/functional-fuel-complete/
– For gut health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/ultra-biotic-x100/
– For energy and adrenal health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/power-b-complex/
I’m Dr. Westin Childs and I focus on thyroid health, hormone balance, and weight loss. I write about thyroid disorders, weight loss, insulin resistance, estrogen/progesterone balance on my blog. I truly believe that hormone balance is the key to managing your weight, your mood and your quality of life which is why I’m so passionate about it.
I take a personalized/functional medicine approach to the management of conditions. I’m not accepting patients but you can learn more and get plenty of information on my blog!
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe on youtube or leave a comment on my podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dr-westin-childs-podcast-thyroid-weight-loss-hormones/id1141207688?mt=2
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high-quality content but this is NOT a substitute for medical care.