Today I am joined by Dr. Alan Christianson. Dr. Alan Christianson is a Board Certified Naturopathic Endocrinologist who focuses on Thyroid care. He is a New York Times bestselling author whose recent titles include The Thyroid Reset Diet and the Metabolism Reset Diet.
You can learn more about Dr. Christianson here:
– His latest book: https://www.drchristianson.com/thyroi…
– His website: https://www.drchristianson.com/
In this podcast episode, we discuss the following topics:
– What got Dr. Christianson interested in medicine and in the thyroid
– Why so many thyroid patients are struggling to feel better despite taking thyroid medication and doing what’s “right”
– The 3 main issues that keep thyroid patients from feeling better
– Why there is so much controversy surrounding iodine in the setting of thyroid disease
– The difference between the RDA requirement for iodine and iodine tolerance
– What causes the difference in tolerance of iodine between thyroid patients and what that means for iodine dosing
– What’s the role that iodine plays in Hashimoto’s and whether or not Hashimoto’s patients should avoid iodine
– Stories about extremely high doses of iodine triggering autoimmune thyroid disease such as Hashimoto’s and Graves’ disease
– The role that selenium plays in Hashimoto’s, thyroid antibodies, and in protecting the thyroid gland
– What causes autoimmune thyroid disease and does finding the root cause actually matter?
– Do H. pylori infections or EBV infections cause Hashimoto’s thyroiditis?
– Where does iodine avoidance fit into the treatment of patients with thyroid disease
– How the body eliminates iodine and why it’s easy to get more than you think on a daily basis
– How taking thyroid medication impacts your body’s ability to utilize iodine
– How to know if you are someone who will benefit from iodine avoidance & whether or not it may help you get off of your thyroid medication
– How to find doctors to help patients adjust their thyroid medication and iodine intake
– Hidden sources of iodine and why you are probably consuming more iodine than you think
– How much iodine is getting absorbed through the skin via cosmetics
– Is iodine testing accurate? When does it make sense to test your iodine level and what does that value actually mean
– Is it safe to get an iodine testing challenge test or should it be avoided?
– Are optimal thyroid lab tests something that should be used for thyroid patients?
– How important are free thyroid hormone levels compared to the TSH?
– Where to get Dr. Christianson’s latest book and how to ask questions to him via his podcast/youtube channel
Download my free thyroid resources here (including hypothyroid symptoms checklist, the complete list of thyroid lab tests + optimal ranges, foods you should avoid if you have thyroid disease, and more): https://www.restartmed.com/start-here/
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– Supplements that everyone with hypothyroidism needs: https://bit.ly/3tekPej
– Supplement bundle to help reverse Hashimoto’s: https://bit.ly/3gSY9eJ
– Supplements for those without a thyroid and for those after RAI: https://bit.ly/3tb36nZ
– Supplements for active hyperthyroidism: https://bit.ly/3t70yHo
See ALL of my specialized supplements including protein powders, thyroid supplements, and weight loss products here: