Free T4 is an important measurement which gives you an idea how well your thyroid is functioning.
But what’s interesting about this value is that it changes based on what type of thyroid medication you are taking. You need to understand how these changes manifest to know if you are on the right track.
How T4 changes with thyroid medication:
– On T4 only thyroid medication.
Free T4 tends to increase when taking thyroid medication such as Levothyroxine and Synthroid. This makes perfect sense! You can use your free T4 as a measure to determine if you are taking enough medication. As you take more medication you should see your free T4 increase.
– On NDT thyroid medication.
On NDT some people experience a dramatic drop in free T4 while others may see a slight increase. How you respond to NDT will depend on your unique biochemistry.
– On T3 only thyroid medication.
All people taking T3 only thyroid medication will see a drop in free T4 if their dose is high enough!
Evaluating your free T4 is important if you are taking T4 only thyroid medication and becomes less important as you use other types of thyroid medication.
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– For thyroid hormone production and conversion: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/t3-conversion-booster/
– For hair loss: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-hair-regrowth-complex/
– For weight management: https://www.restartmed.com/product/gut-bomb-350-billion/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/functional-fuel-complete/
– For gut health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/ultra-biotic-x100/
– For energy and adrenal health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/power-b-complex/
I’m Dr. Westin Childs and I focus on thyroid health, hormone balance, and weight loss. I write about thyroid disorders, weight loss, insulin resistance, estrogen/progesterone balance on my blog. I truly believe that hormone balance is the key to managing your weight, your mood and your quality of life which is why I’m so passionate about it.
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe on youtube or leave a comment on my podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dr-westin-childs-podcast-thyroid-weight-loss-hormones/id1141207688?mt=2
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high-quality content but this is NOT a substitute for medical care.