Is the Carnivore diet safe if you have Hashimoto’s?
I’m not 100% convinced that it is safe in the long-term but there have been reports from some people that it can be effective. Because of this, I wanted to explore the diet and explain why it may be effective for some people.
The carnivore diet includes mostly meat-based products but it also includes a small amount of dairy and eggs as well.
At first glance, this may not seem very healthy, but we know that other restrictive diets have proven to be potentially therapeutic for certain individuals.
One of the reasons that this diet may be effective is that it may be acting as a super elimination diet for your gut.
We know that your gut can be the starting point and the perpetuating point of autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
By eliminating many foods it’s possible that this diet is allowing your gut bacteria to balance and repopulate your intestinal tract.
This may explain why certain people experience significant benefit on this diet.
One big issue is the issue of safety. Is this diet safe to use long term?
The answer is not well known but I am concerned about 2 main issues:
#1. The issue of a diet high in saturated fat.
And #2. The issue of potential nutrient deficiencies.
Even in the face of these issues, there may be some place for this diet in the treatment of Hashimoto’s but only after other diets such as the gluten-free diet, dairy-free diet, elimination diet, AIP diet, etc. have been utilized and failed.
If you’ve tried this diet before please leave a comment below with your experience!
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– For thyroid hormone production and conversion: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/t3-conversion-booster/
– For hair loss: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-hair-regrowth-complex/
– For weight management: https://www.restartmed.com/product/gut-bomb-350-billion/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/functional-fuel-complete/
– For gut health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/ultra-biotic-x100/
– For energy and adrenal health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/power-b-complex/
I’m Dr. Westin Childs and I focus on thyroid health, hormone balance, and weight loss. I write about thyroid disorders, weight loss, insulin resistance, estrogen/progesterone balance on my blog. I truly believe that hormone balance is the key to managing your weight, your mood and your quality of life which is why I’m so passionate about it.
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe on youtube or leave a comment on my podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dr-westin-childs-podcast-thyroid-weight-loss-hormones/id1141207688?mt=2
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high-quality content but this is NOT a substitute for medical care.