The answer is yes. Actually, both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can lead to high blood sugar.
This stems from a condition known as insulin resistance in which your cells become resistant to the effects of insulin. Insulin is supposed to help your body take up glucose and utilize it for energy. If it can’t then the blood sugar will build up in your blood and you will experience high blood sugar.
This condition stems from ANY disorder of thyroid function including both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
And this is also true of thyroid medications. It’s not the medications themselves which cause blood sugar but how much you are taking of them.
It’s possible for thyroid medication to both hurt or help your blood sugar, depending on your dose.
In addition to this, hypothyroid patients also suffer from a high cortisol if they do not use an adequate dose of thyroid medication. High cortisol leads to further insulin resistance and can exacerbate high blood sugar.
Because of this, if you have hypothyroidism and high blood sugar it’s important that you address both your cortisol AND your thyroid function. Failure to address both of these can lead to persistent high blood sugar, insulin resistance, and weight loss resistance.
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– For thyroid hormone production and conversion: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/t3-conversion-booster/
– For hair loss: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-hair-regrowth-complex/
– For weight management: https://www.restartmed.com/product/gut-bomb-350-billion/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/functional-fuel-complete/
– For gut health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/ultra-biotic-x100/
– For energy and adrenal health: https://www.restartmed.com/product/thyroid-adrenal-reset-complex/ + https://www.restartmed.com/product/power-b-complex/
I’m Dr. Westin Childs and I focus on thyroid health, hormone balance, and weight loss. I write about thyroid disorders, weight loss, insulin resistance, estrogen/progesterone balance on my blog. I truly believe that hormone balance is the key to managing your weight, your mood and your quality of life which is why I’m so passionate about it.
I take a personalized/functional medicine approach to the management of conditions. I’m not accepting patients but you can learn more and get plenty of information on my blog!
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe on youtube or leave a comment on my podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dr-westin-childs-podcast-thyroid-weight-loss-hormones/id1141207688?mt=2
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high-quality content but this is NOT a substitute for medical care.