Do you have Hashimoto’s or hypothyroidism? If so, download my free resources such as foods you should be avoiding, the complete list of thyroid lab tests, and more here: https://www.restartmed.com/start-here/
Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune disease which means if you have this disease that your body is attacking and attempting to destroy your own thyroid gland.
Up to 70-90% of people with hypothyroidism have Hashimoto’s (even if you don’t know about it!) and this is important because Hashimoto’s is treated differently compared to regular hypothyroidism.
There are 5 main natural therapies that you can use to potentially help halt this autoimmune damage in your body and help heal your thyroid gland.
I’ve personally used these therapies on many patients and found them to be quite effective. But, before you use them, please realize that they may not ALL work for you.
Each person is unique and the therapies that you need may differ from the therapies that I’ve listed here.
5 Natural ways to treat Hashimoto’s include:
#1. Changing your diet.
– There are several diets that can help reduce inflammation in your body and may help treat Hashimoto’s. I see a lot of people who are eating healthy foods but they are not eating the right types of healthy foods. Diets which can help Hashimoto’s include: AIP diet, Elimination diet, low FODMAP’s diet, and the gluten-free/dairy-free/soy-free diet.
#2. Testosterone gel/cream.
– Women with Hashimoto’s tend to have low testosterone levels. Treating women who have low testosterone with testosterone can help improve the immune response and may also help with problems such as low libido and weight gain. You don’t want to use more than necessary, but using even a small amount may help.
#3. Vitamins and Minerals.
– There are lots of potential vitamins that you can use, but I find the most success with Selenium, Zinc, and Vitamin D. These supplements are powerful regulators of the immune response and patients with Hashimoto’s tend to be deficient in all 3. I recommend using a supplement like this one which contains all 3: https://www.restartmed.com/product/t3-conversion-booster/
#4. Gut health.
– We all know that gut health is important but instead of focusing on your general gut health I want to focus on 2 conditions that up to 50% of patients with Hashimoto’s have and may not be aware of. These conditions are SIBO and SIFO. If you have these conditions (or any of the symptoms of these conditions) you must be treated as they may be causing inflammation and worsening the immune process in your body.
– Last on the list is LDN which stands for low dose naltrexone. LDN is thought to help your body by increasing endorphins which may help educate and balance your immune system. Anywhere from 40-60% of people with Hashimoto’s may find some benefit by using LDN. LDN does require a prescription to get, however, so you will need to get this from your doctor.
I’m Dr. Westin Childs and I focus on thyroid health, hormone balance, and weight loss. I write about thyroid disorders, weight loss, insulin resistance, estrogen/progesterone balance on my blog. I truly believe that hormone balance is the key to managing your weight, your mood and your quality of life which is why I’m so passionate about it.
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe on youtube or leave a comment on my podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dr-westin-childs-podcast-thyroid-weight-loss-hormones/id1141207688?mt=2
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high-quality content but this is NOT a substitute for medical care.